The fifth beer that I brewed.
This beer was so defective that there was no workaround for it, and I had to throw away the whole batch.
The fact that it was a Blonde Ale also helped, as it is a style that is quite “straight to the point”, where all the off-flavors are quite noticeable.
- Style: Blonde Ale (18 A)
- Brewer: Maurício Gardini
- Type: All Grain
- Batch Size: 30 l
- Brewing: 15/02/2017
- Fermentation Start: 15/02/2017
- Fermentation End: 22/02/2017
- Maturation Start: 22/02/2017
- Maturation End: 29/02/2017
- Bottling: N/A
|Amount||Ingredient||Type||Added At||Additional Information|
|5.13 kg||Agrária Pilsen||Grain||Mash Start|
|1.38 kg||Weyermann Pale Malt||Grain||Mash Start|
|0.10 kg||Weyermann Caramunich II||Grain||Mash Start|
|25.00 g||Palisade||Hop||Boil 60.0 minutes||7.50 % a.a|
|10.00 g||Palisade||Hop||Boil 15.0 minutes||7.50 % a.a|
|15.00 g||Palisade||Hop||Boil 0.0 minutes||7.50 % a.a|
|2.0 pkg||Fermentis SafAle US-05 American Ale||Yeast||Day 0|
- Estim. O. G.: 1,046 SG
- Meas. O. G.: 1,047 SG
- Estim. F. G.: 1,008 SG
- Meas. F. G.: 1,010 SG
- Estim. A.B.V.: 5.9 %
- Meas. A.B.V.: 5.1 %
- Bitterness: 18.7 IBUs
- Color: 9.1 EBC
- Saccharification: Add 20.23 l of water at 69.7 °C, aiming for a 64.4 °C step temperature, for 75 minutes
- Mash Step: Heat to 72.0 °C over 2 min for 15 minutes
- Mash Out: Heat to 78.0 °C over 2 minutes for 5 minutes
- Fly Sparge: With 31.22 l water at 75.6 °C
- Step Temperature: 18 °C
The beer had a heavy presence of chlorophenol and I considered it undrinkable. Due to that, the whole batch was thrown away.
The causes that were considered the most probable were the use of old grains (the malt was given to me by a friend who had them as leftovers) and chlorine presence in the water (by using the unfiltered line instead of the filtered one).