The first beer that I brewed.
Brewing is something that I wanted to do for quite some time, and by the time that I brewed this beer, I had already took a “How to Brew” course, so I wasn’t going completely blind to my first brew day.
Despite that, mistakes were made, some due to my inexperience and others due to the inexistence of some equipment.
- Style: Irish Red Ale (15 A)
- Brewer: Maurício Gardini
- Assistant Brewer: Matias
- Type: All Grain
- Batch Size: 15.50 l
- Brewing: 20/08/2016
- Fermentation Start: 20/08/2016
- Fermentation End: 27/08/2016
- Maturation Start: 27/08/2016
- Maturation End: 03/09/2016
- Bottling: 03/09/2016
|Amount||Ingredient||Type||Added At||Additional Information|
|4.00 kg||Agrária Pilsner||Grain||Mash Start|
|0.50 kg||Castle Chateau Melano||Grain||Mash Start|
|0.20 kg||Castle Chateau Cara Blond||Grain||Mash Start|
|10.00 g||Nugget||Hop||Boil 50.0 minutes||13.00 % a.a|
|12.50 g||Willamette||Hop||Boil 10.0 minutes||5.50 % a.a|
|10.00 g||Sladek||Hop||Boil 10.0 minutes||5.00 % a.a|
|12.50 g||Willamette||Hop||Boil 5.0 minutes||5.50 % a.a|
|25.00 g||Willamette||Hop||Dry Hop||5.50 % a.a|
|1.0 pkg||Fermentis SafAle S-04 English Ale||Yeast||Day 0|
- Estim. O. G.: 1,058 SG
- Meas. O. G.: 1,057 SG
- Estim. F. G.: 1,017 SG
- Meas. F. G.: 1,018 SG
- Estim. A.B.V.: 5.4 %
- Meas. A.B.V.: 5.1 %
- Bitterness: 27.3 IBUs
- Color: 18.8 EBC
- Saccharification: Add 13.76 l of water at 74.7 °C, aiming for a 68.7 °C step temperature, for 60 minutes
- Mash Out: Add 6.87 l of water at 92.5 °C, aiming for a 76.0 °C step temperature, for 10 minutes
- Fly Sparge: With 6.29 l water at 75.6 °C
- Step Temperature: no temperature control
- Volumes of CO2: 2.3
- Carbonation Origin: Bottle with 111.33 g Corn Sugar
Kit recipe from Cerveja da Casa.
Willamette additions were an extra made by me.
Sensorial analysis of this beer revealed diacetil on it, probably because of the fermentation without temperature control.