The eighth beer that I brewed.
Tried to make another English IPA, to see if I could make it better than the first one was.
First time using liquid yeast for the primary fermentation.
- Style: English IPA (12 C)
- Brewer: Maurício Gardini
- Type: All Grain
- Batch Size: 20 l
- Brewing: 21/05/2017
- Fermentation Start: 21/05/2017
- Fermentation End: 14/06/2017
- Maturation Start: 14/06/2017
- Maturation End: 30/06/2017
- Bottling: 30/06/2017
|Amount||Ingredient||Type||Added At||Other Data|
|2.50 kg||Weyermann Pale Malt||Grain||Mash Start|
|2.50 kg||Thomas Fawcett Pale Malt, Maris Otter||Grain||Mash Start|
|0.50 kg||Weyermann Caraamber||Grain||Mash Start|
|0.50 kg||Weyermann Caramunich II||Grain||Mash Start|
|0.50 kg||Weyermann Carared||Grain||Mash Start|
|35.00 g||Hallertau Magnum||Hop||Boil 60.0 minutes||14.00 % a.a|
|50.00 g||East Kent Goldings||Hop||Boil 10.0 minutes||5.00 % a.a|
|1.0 pkg||Fermmento Labs AB3 - Englishy||Yeast||Day 0|
|1.0 pkg||Fermentis SafAle US-05 American Ale||Yeast||Day 10|
- Estim. O. G.: 1,071 SG
- Meas. O. G.: 1,054 SG
- Estim. F. G.: 1,018 SG
- Meas. F. G.: 1,017 SG
- Estim. A.B.V.: 7.0 %
- Meas. A.B.V.: 4.9 %
- Bitterness: 58 IBUs
- Color: 28.1 EBC
- Saccharification: Add 19.95 l of water at 70.9 °C, aiming for a 65.5 °C step temperature, for 60 minutes
- Mash Step: Heat to 75.6 °C over 10 min
- Fly sparge: with 20.06 l water at 75.6 °C
- Step Temperature: 18 °C
- Volumes of CO2: 2.3
- Carbonation Origin: Bottle with 107.04 g Corn Sugar
Had problems with my primary fermentation, as it wasn’t achieving the OG that I expected.
The conclusion that I arrived is that I had a stuck fermentation because of underpitching, as the liquid yeast I used was at my fridge for some days.
By my calculations, by the time that I used it, id had around 50% of its original viability.
To continue the fermentation, I pitched a second yeast.